“Something is wrong. I don’t mean with you or me or with any person. I mean in general." --Ragle Gumm

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Personal Notes Two--A Strange Land

Crash landed back in a classroom in Virginia teaching German. The small stuff was no big deal but it did wipe away the pain for a while and paint the mind with far out thoughts. Met other guys with long hair. They did stuff. Music and stuff went well together. Silence and sounds becoming one. Good friends in our own world. I traveled back and forth to Berlin to see my girlfriend, and she to me. Then there was the classroom. Kabul in reverse. The war was going on, not only in Vietnam but also in the school. Every morning the national anthem blared into every crook and cranny of the building at exactly 7:20. They knew I wasn’t their kind. They tried to put the cops onto me. I was strange to them and the school was a strange land for me. “I Almost Cut My Hair”  by David Crosby was my personal anthem.